Friday, June 10, 2011

Welcome

New Orleans is both beautiful and dark, florid and mysterious, but more than anything, it exhibits a beloved affinity for the absurd. It relishes the absurd; it expresses it in dance, food, and endless festivals that are less important in their content than they are in their spirit, which is always convivial and colorful. I have only been here two weeks and I may very well be in love. I am not alone in this quick attraction. Many young people, equipped with public service goals, have moved here and adopted the traditions and absurdities of a city with such inexplicable magnetism that it can only be explained in stories. This blog is an attempted explanation of that attraction, a personal effort to journey into why, after adventuring and rambling for the last four years, I feel like I have finally found a home.

I encourage any and all readers to interact with the blog and share your own stories. Or suggest some colorful local pursuits if you are in the know. I hope you enjoy.

Thanks, Sam

2 comments:

  1. Sam

    Love your accounts of your experiences in New Orleans. I see you have inherited your mother's lively descriptive powers ---hope you are able to find time to keep with your writing since you are so talented. Good luck in your new endeavors--I'll continue to visit your blog.

    Betty Wilton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Betty, for the kind words. I hope you continue to enjoy it. I am determined to blog bi-weekly at the very least.

    ReplyDelete